Barrington Moore Commendation

This year’s winner of the Barrington Moore Prize for Excellence in Advising is described by one of their students as “one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, and most humble people I have ever had the privilege of learning under. They are also kind, welcoming, encouraging, and positive.”

Several students who nominated this faculty member for the Moore Prize emphasized that they had come into Social Studies feeling, in the words of one, “intimidated and out of place: I had never heard of a majority of the thinkers before, and the subject matter felt entirely unfamiliar.” Another student wrote, “there’s a part of me that hates social theory.” But having this faculty member as an advisor, a third student stated, “changed everything I thought about myself, theory, and Social Studies as a concentration. … In tutorial, they pushed me to think about and add to conversations I didn’t think should include me, and their guidance and encouragement truly changed the way I see the world.”

The student nominators emphasized both how “demanding” this advisor is, and how generous they are with their time. One student wrote, “I often come to them with a lot of uncertainty and concerns about my focus field, extracurriculars, and future career. They always provide incredibly wise advice and inspire me to stay true to my values and interests.” Another student described how this faculty member “went above and beyond” …”by listening to my interests, leading me to courses and resources within Social Studies and Harvard more generally, and being constantly available to answer my questions and hear my concerns about the rigor of the concentration.”

One student wrote that this advisor “not only encourages me to grow into the best version of myself in the classroom, but she also provides me with the support necessary for me to enact my goals and pursue my aspirations. … She has become my most trusted advisor, [and] she has provided me with the support and mentorship needed for me to realize my own potential.”

Another wrote, “Gili Kliger has been an invaluable source of support, motivation, and wisdom who has been helpful, perhaps without even knowing it, in making me feel like I belong here. I will always be grateful to Gili and know that she will continue to have a profound impact on the lives of students and in the greater academy.

And a third student stated, “She has already had a permanent impact on my Harvard experience, and I am confident that when I look back after graduating, I will be beyond grateful for her advising.”

It is a pleasure to present the 2022 Barrington Moore Award for Excellence in Advising to Gili Kliger.