Librarian at Harvard University.
Geographer, writer, sometime-actor.
Vulnerability/resilience, arts and sustainability.
Social aspects of water resources and environmental problems.
I am a librarian at Harvard University. I work in cluster of libraries that includes Lamont Library, Cabot Science Library, Widener Library, and the Harvard Map Collection. I help people with questions related to the environment, sustainability, government publications, maps, and general research.
Lamont Library, Harvard Yard, Cambridge, MA 02138
As a research librarian at Harvard since 2001, I provide help to scholars from throughout the university and beyond. I handle both general reference questions and more specialized questions in environment and sustainability studies, including their overlap with government documents, data, and maps. I have also served as the interim manager of Government Information Services and the U.S. Federal Depository Library Coordinator at Harvard.
Geographer and Writer
I write on environment, sustainability, the arts, and other topics. In addition to scholarly publications, my print work has appeared in publications such as Environment, where I was a contributing editor for three years, and in The Resource, the internal human resources newspaper for Harvard University.
I studied drama at Harvard Extension and at Earlham College. I have appeared as an extra in Early Edition, Defending Jacob, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I also worked as an extra on the forthcoming film Boston Strangler. Details here.
Previously, I worked for the United States Environmental Protection Agency in Chicago; as a watershed management consultant to the Massachusetts Metropolitan Distriction Commission (now the state Department of Conservation and Recreation); as a visiting instructor at Mt. Holyoke College; and as a library assistant at MIT’s Lindgren Library of earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences, since closed.
I grew up in northern Virginia, and my family hails from Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. I live west of Boston about halfway to Worcester. I am a ham radio operator, callsign W1XW.
B.A., Earlham College, Geology.
M.A., University of Chicago, Geography.
Ph.D., Clark University, Geography.
M.S., Simmons University, Library and Information Science.
M.L.A., Harvard Extension School, Drama.
Most Recent Publications
- 2022. Stepping to the National Stage: Protesting Injustice, Producing Shakespeare, and Claiming Black Space at the Sylvan Theater. Master’s thesis in drama, Harvard University Extension School.
- 2022. With Jude Parks and others. “Transforming Embodied Experiences of Academic Conferences Through Creative Practice : Participating in an Instant Choir at the Nordic Geographers’ Meeting in 2019.” Cultural Geographies, 29(2), 317–324. (Harvard link).
“Bytes of Note” Columns in Environment
- “The Changing News Environment.” March/April 2010, pp. 5-7.
- “Design for the Global Household.” January/February 2010, pp. 7-8.
- “Environmental Twitter.” September/October 2009, pp. 5-6.
- “Academic Geography for Sustainability.” May/June 2009, pp. 5-6.
- “U.S. Government Information.” January/February 2009, pp. 5-6.
- “Groundwater: A Tale of Two Settings.” November/December 2008, pp. 5-6.
- “Sustainability Theater.” September/October 2008, pp.6-7.
- “Climate Policy’s Quiet Giants” [on reinsurance]. July/August 2008, pp 6-7.
- “The Human and Social Costs of War.” March/April 2008, p. 3.
- “War and Sustainability: The Economic and Environmental Costs.” January/February 2008, pp. 3-4.
- “Seeking Solutions for Suburbia.” November 2007, pp. 3-4.
- “Unsustainable Suburbia.” October 2007, pp. 3-4.
- “Environment on Film.” September 2007, pp. 3-4.
- “Environment and Human Rights.” July/August 2007, p. 3.
- “Hunting in Context.” June 2007, pp. 3-4.
- “Exploring Environmental Archives.” May 2007, p. 3.
- 2001. Vulnerability to Coastal Flood Hazards in Revere, Massachusetts: A Social Component of Risk. Ph.D. Dissertation. Worcester, MA.: Graduate School of Geography, Clark University. See HOLLIS Catalog or Proquest Dissertations & Theses Full Text (Harvard link.)
- 1999. Steinberg, P. E., and G. E. Clark. “Troubled Water? Acquiescence, Conflict, and the Politics of Place in Watershed Management.” Political Geography 18(4), 477-508.
- 1998. Clark, G. E., S. C. Moser, S. J. Ratick, K. Dow, W. B. Meyer, S. Emani, W. Jin, J. X. Kasperson, R. E. Kasperson, and H. E. Schwarz. “Assessing the Vulnerability of Coastal Communities to Extreme Storms: The Case of Revere, MA., USA.” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 3(1), 59-82. (Harvard link.)
- 1994. Emani, S., S. J. Ratick, G. E. Clark, K. Dow, J. X. Kasperson, R. E. Kasperson, S. Moser, and H. E. Schwarz. “Assessing Vulnerability to Extreme Storm Events and Sea-Level Rise Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).” GIS/LIS Proceedings 1993. 2-4 Nov. 1993. Vol. 1, 201-209.
- 2012. Review of P. P. Karan and S. P. Subbiah, eds., 2011, The Indian Ocean Tsunami: The Global Response to a Natural Disaster, Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky. Journal of Geography 111(3), pp. 123-124. (Harvard link.)
- 2008. “Making Climate News.” Review of M. T. Boykoff and J. M. Boykoff, 2007, “Climate Change and Journalistic Norms: A Case Study of US Mass-Media Coverage,” Geoforum 38(6), 1190–04; and M. T. Boykoff, 2008, “Lost in Translation? United States Television News Coverage of Anthropogenic Climate Change, 1995—2004,” Climatic Change 86(1-2), 1–11. In “Editors’ Picks,” Environment 50(4), pp. 3-4.
- 2008. Review of C. Park, 2007, Dictionary of Environment and Conservation, Oxford University Press. In “Books of Note,” Environment 50(4), pp. 66-67.
- 2007. “Environment and Conservation.” In C. LaGuardia, ed., Magazines for Libraries, 16th ed. New Providence, NJ.: ProQuest LLC, pp. 376-382. M2007. “Television, Video, and Radio.” In C. LaGuardia, ed., Magazines for Libraries, 16th ed. New Providence, NJ.: ProQuest LLC, pp. 920-924.
- 2006. Review of W. R. Hofstra, The Planting of New Virginia: Settlement and Landscape in the Shenandoah Valley, 2004, Johns Hopkins University Press. In Journal of Cultural Geography 23(2), 134-136. (Harvard link.)
- 2005. “Environment and Conservation.” In C. LaGuardia, ed., Magazines for Libraries, 14th ed. New Providence, NJ.: Bowker, 417-422. Chapter completely revised for 14th edition.
- 2003. “Environment and Conservation.” In C. LaGuardia, ed., Magazines for Libraries, 12th ed. New Providence, NJ.: Bowker, 422-429.
- 2002. Review of International Bibliography of Maps and Atlases, 2nd ed. K.G. Saur. In Library Journal 127 (7), “Database & Disc Reviews,” 134-135. (Harvard link.)